Sunday, January 2, 2011

I won´t wish you a happy new year.

I won´t tell you “Happy new year”. Not because it´s not 12 o clock yet, nor because I'm far away as usual, nor because my cell phone always manages to get no signal. Nor because I don´t care about you. The more I cared about you, the more careful I would be not to tell you. And that´s because I don´t believe in the change of years, just as I don´t believe in any sudden change which doesn´t require time, sweat or blood. I don´t believe in celebrating the fact that time keeps on going, cause time doesn´t care. He did so when we weren´t around, and he never needed a party in his honor to feel like he was doing a good job.

I don´t believe this night is any different, nor we bigger, nor the world wiser. I don´t think anything changes when a champagne bottle pop´s, nor when you blow 18 candles in the dark, nor when people on the streets announce the dawn of a new era. They are moments, like the flash from a camera which doesn´t give us time to blink, like a shooting star we see through the corner of our eye and later wonder if we saw it at all, like a kid that wants to light up the night with a match but never can because matches are consumed faster than shadows, and when he refuses to let go, just burns his fingers.

And just as you don´t walk up to the Berlin wall on a random day to throw it down in the name of freedom, you can´t expect to light up the whole night with whatever it is you are carrying in your pockets. That´s because many don´t learn when they grow up, and believe maturing means buying bigger matches. But as now we know ourselves bigger than the night because we are men, we want the whole world to know we are trying to light it up, we wish to turn off darkness for a while, we are trying to tell the sun we don´t need him to see. And I see them, throwing up fireworks as if they were throwing pennies into a fountain, and I see them taking pictures below an exploding sky, wanting to burn forever. And I feel sorry for them. And I know I always think more than I should, and that I cry if someone steps on an ant, and that I turn the simplest gestures into the most tragic ones. But that won´t change today, I won´t change tonight.

Because perhaps many believe in a god who can move mountains by snapping his fingers, and that maybe we are not that far from being a mountain and our god a first of January. But if the first thing feels absurd, imagine what I think of the second one. If there´s something to do this night is to close your eyes so that the lights in the sky won´t distract you from what really matters, and in the time it takes for you to breathe in, think were you are and more or less where are you going. Then breathe it out and let go of it, smiling ever so slightly, not because this night is special, but because we have 365 nights ahead of us just like this one to do what we haven´t done yet, to grasp this world a little tighter.

And I smile, because I know one of those nights you will throw down a wall which divided you in half, you will light up the night with matches you´ve been carving yourself for a while, and that will be your finger snap. Not today, when this summer celebration inspires change, but maybe on a winter night when you visit someone´s grave. And even if the next day is a Monday dressed up in a suit and the nation doesn´t believe you deserve a holiday, I will be there toasting with you. And when you ask me why I never wished you a happy new year I will tell you I was waiting for this night, and I will raise my glass and just say “Happy revolution”.

4 comments:

  1. have i ever told you that you are awesome? because you are. extremely awesome. thank you for this. its like a late christmasd gift, but its not just for me and its a thousand times better than a christmas gift. i cant wait to read more. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. It's still amazing the 27th time. Just saying. Still. Thank you. A lot. Even if you made me wait. A long time. And think that you were photoshopping my head onto another animal. Maybe I should start trusting you with surprises. Maybe. Okay. I'm going to stop rambling here and go do so on my own blog. I hope sleeping under stars gives you inspiration :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about what you said, and I totally agree. One minute doesn't have to be the positive change... each day should be like a New Year, because using that day, the 31st of December, as an excuse for laziness or repugnance is pathetic. We all do it, but it's best if we try not to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing. You write so well, Francisco - I'd venture to say that you write better in English than I do.

    ReplyDelete